Brain-Eating Amoeba Found in a Texas City’s Water Supply

Lake Jackson under boil order as city flushes and disinfects system

Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic amoeba that can cause a fatal brain infection, was recently discovered in the water supply that serves Lake Jackson, Texas. Lake Jackson is located 50 miles south of Houston and has about 27,000 residents.

The Brazosport Water Authority issued a Do Not Use water advisory on Friday evening, September 25. It was lifted and replaced by a boil order the next day, which will be in effect for Lake Jackson until further notice. The latest information can be found on the city’s website.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), naegleria fowleri is found in warm freshwater (such as lakes, rivers and hot springs) and soil. It usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose, and then travels to the brain. The resulting infection, known as PAM, or primary amebic meningoencephalitis, is usually fatal. The CDC notes that you cannot get infected from swallowing water contaminated with naegleria.

For Further Reading

2020-09-28T12:02:37-05:00September 28th, 2020|Education|